Brian R. Barrington was born in Boston in 1958 and grew up in Michigan, Switzerland and New Jersey. Brian and his wife Mary Jane, have been married for 35 years and have three grown daughters.
Brian possesses diverse legal experience including personal injury, workers compensation, social security matters, consumer and commercial real estate transactions, bankruptcy, bank counsel, corporate formation and litigation as well as family law.
As a municipal attorney on behalf of the City of Somersworth Brian honed his skills to effectively represent individuals with land use issues, from zoning and tax assessments to land development. Brian also has an active estate and trust planning practice.
Brian has represented clients at all levels from district courts to the Supreme Court. He is an effective trial attorney who has obtained impressive verdicts and ultimately client satisfaction. He is licensed to practice law in New Hampshire and Maine.
Brian had the honor of serving as law clerk to Martin J. Laughlin of the United States Federal District Court prior to commencing private practice.
- Tufts University
- A. Cum Laude, 1981
- Franklin Pierce Law Center
- Juris Doctor, 1984
Practice Area Focus
- Civil Litigation in all Court and Jury trials
- Active Bankruptcy Court practice since 1985
- Real estate, commercial closings, land use issues
- Business and Corporate Law
- Municipal Law
- Extensive estate and trust planning, Family Law
- Personal injury, Social Security and workers' compensation
Admissions / Professional Background
- New Hampshire Bar Association 1984
- Maine Bar Association 1985
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Hampshire 1984
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maine 1987
- Manchester City Solicitor’s Office Civil Division Intern 1984
- Law Clerk to Martin J. Laughlin, U.S. District Court, District of New Hampshire 1984-1985
- Cullinane & Coolidge, P.A / The Coolidge Law Firm, PLLC, Somersworth, New Hampshire 1987 to present
- General Counsel/Real Estate Transactions for Somersworth Bank and Seacoast Savings Bank 1985-1992
- Somersworth City Solicitor with emphasis on Land Use and Tax Assessment 1992-2005
- Somersworth Rotary Club, 25 years, treasurer, director and past president
- Tri-Area Visiting Nurse Association, 3 years, Board of Directors
- Vestry St. Thomas Church, Dover, NH
- Adult leader in Sea Cadets Program
- Civil Air Patrol, Highlander’s Cadet Sqd. Rochester, NH, 8 years, Commander
- Seacoast Squadron, Training Officer
- Portsmouth Christian Academy, 9 years, Board of Directors